contact the troop webmaster for more information.
Troop 281 provides tents and cooking / eating gear for Scouts on our outings. Scouts need to provide the following personal gear:
-The Ten Outdoor Essentials are taken on ALL outings:
- Backpack to carry personal gear - usually an internal frame
- Sleeping bag - mummy style, rated to 20 degrees
- Insulating ground pad - closed cell foam or self-inflating
- Leather hiking boots, ankle high - they will get wet and muddy
- Non-cotton clothing appropriate for the weather (Cotton underwear, long johns, jeans and hoodies hold water and stop insulating when wet)
Gear is available at many local retailers such as Walmart, Target, Meijer, Dicks, etc.
Some deals are often found at thrift shops like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and St. Vincent dePaul.
Specialized local outdoor gear retailers like REI in Rookwood, Benchmark Outfitters in Blue Ash and Roads, Rivers and Trails in Milford often offer a Scout discount if asked.
One very helpful but "hidden" retailer is HikerDirect.com, a division of Alps Mountaineering. You have to request their Scout discount pricing - which is emailed, and then call to order. They offer quality gear at a large discount.
When backpacking, we modify a bit to save weight. Here is a recent flyer about backpacking gear.
Here are some tips about lightweight backpacking stoves.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 23 August 2015 10:54|